Delicious veggie recipes and stories of vegetable and marital bliss.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nice To Meet You, Vegan Cookie

When I go into my favorite bakery in Berkeley, Sweet Adeline, all the cookies wink at me. I flirt back, checking each one out. Hello, chocolate chip. Hi pecan praline. Oh, hello there crackly ginger cookie. You are looking mighty tasty, oatmeal chocolate chip.
I usually ignore the vegan cookie. After all, it has no butter. And it looks kind of healthy, which is a no no for any cookie that wants to be a treat. It resembles an energy food I might eat on the trail more than a real bona fide baked good. (Never mind that the last time I climbed a mountain I tore my meniscus. Thanks a lot, energy snack.)
As you may know, I'm contemplating a life without dairy, and when better to start than right now. So today, I chose the vegan cookie to accompany my soy chai. I'm proud to say that it was surprisingly personable. In fact, the vegan cookie is kind of like me.
Substantive, fruity, flakier than expected, ethical and compassionate, and of course, tasty.
With friends like this, who needs dairy?

No comments:

Post a Comment