Delicious veggie recipes and stories of vegetable and marital bliss.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dial M for Murder-Free Memorial Day

Like most Americans, I like a good Memorial Day BBQ. There's nothing quite like cracking open a cold one (for my husband, a diet caffeine free coke, because we know how to party) and chowing down on potato chips and burgers (veggie burgers, of course). I've never actually hosted one of these ritual gatherings; usually we are invited to someone's party, where we arrive armed with Gardenburgers and search for the most unused space on the grill.
But this year, I'd like to invite other sentient beings for a BBQ, and I have a sneaking suspicion that not everyone loves Tofurky sausage the way I do.
So, what can I make on the grill?
Veggie Kabobs and Grilled Polenta? Delicious, but it doesn't really say "Memorial Day" to me, unless you drive a Range Rover.
Grilled Poblano Chilies stuffed with beans and rice and cheese sounds yummy, but it's not Cinco de Mayo, people.
Of course I can make all the requisite carbohydrate salads (nothing with mayo though, which is possibly the most dreaded food in my household), but what about that main dish?
It's not Memorial Day if you don't fire up the old grill.
I'd love to hear from my devoted readers (yes, that's you, Dad) about what they like to grill that isn't made out of animal. Keep in mind that my darling husband's family will not eat mushrooms, so portobellos are out of the picture.
Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys Memorial Day and takes a moment to remember the importance of happiness and peace for ALL sentient beings, but especially our soldiers.

1 comment: