Delicious veggie recipes and stories of vegetable and marital bliss.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brownies We Like in an 8x8 Pan

My husband has a big sweet tooth, especially for anything
chocolate. It's actually a genetic condition, I recently learned.
I'm more of a ginger/carrot/butter vanilla/caramel person than a chocolate person,
but as we learned earlier, marriage IS about compromise.







Brownies We Like

(song for brownies: Digable Planets' "Where I'm From" because great hip hop uses references to Marx and Camus)

Butter and dust lightly with flour an 8x8 baking pan. I use a ceramic one, so I refuse to accept any responsibility if you use Pyrex and it comes out weird. I'm naturally suspicious of Pyrex and census workers. Preheat oven to 350.
1 stick unsalted butter
2 ounces good quality
unsweetened chocolate (I use a half a Ghirardelli 4oz baking bar)
1 cup sugar (I use the slightly golden looking natural kind that you get in bulk, or at Trader Joe's)
2 eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour (unbleached...I like King Arthur's)

Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler or over very low heat. Let the mixture cool.
Beat sugar and eggs together with a whisk until foamy. Add vanilla. Stir well. Fold in chocolate mixture. Add flour gently and stir until JUST mixed.
Pour into your pan, bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife poked into the brownies comes out clean.

Cool for a few minutes, then cut. Yummy with ice cream (coffee or mint chocolate chip are our personal favorites). But then again, what ISN'T yummy with ice cream?
Sometimes, if I'm feeling affectionate, I make my beloved husband these brownies and cut out little hearts with a cookie cutter for him to take to work. (No wonder he eats by himself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment