Delicious veggie recipes and stories of vegetable and marital bliss.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Vegetarian Pot Pie (marriage is about compromise)

I love my husband. And my husband loves pot pie. Pot pie is delicious, and although it's not the healthiest food in the world, it's probably not the worst dinner to have on occasion.

Here's what I did. I had a pie crust I made last week in the fridge. You can make your own with your own favorite recipe (I use the one from the Moosewood dessert cookbook), or if you are short on time, you could buy a ready-made crust. More on the challenges of making pie crust later...

Vegetarian Pot Pie
(song for pot pie: Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice It's All Right")

Ingredients:
1 pie crust for the top of the pie

For the filling:
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
vegetarian bouillon cube
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3-4 cups of your favorite veggies (like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, potatoes) cubed into small chunks

This is how we do it (baby):

In a pot (I used a four quart stockpot with a heavy bottom), melt 3 tablespoons of butter on medium heat. Add one medium chopped onion and veggie bouillon cube (I use Rapunzel brand). Cook until translucent. Add 3 tablespoon flour, and stir well. Add about 1 cup milk (I used 2%), stir and let bubble a little and thicken. Turn down the heat if the bubbling gets too vigorous. Add your favorite veggies, cut up in small chunks.
Last night, I used:
1 large russet potato (unpeeled)
about 1 cup broccoli
about 1 cup cauliflower
about 2/3 of a cup of green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces

Stir the veggies in the mixture for a few minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste, and one tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese.

Pour the vegetable mixture into a pie pan and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top. Cover with your pie crust, add some slits in the crust for ventilation, place on a cookie sheet covered with tin foil (to make life easier for the person cleaning up) and bake at 425 for 30 minutes or so...until your crust is golden brown. If it starts to get TOO brown before 30 minutes, you can cover it with some tin foil.
Let cool for a few minutes before you dive in.

Makes 4-6 servings. That means there are leftovers for my husband to take for lunch, which is the perfect antidote against the In-n-Out Burger dangerously close to his work. Warning: this dish IS heavy and rich. My husband thought it was the perfect food. I like my veggies a bit more crisp and a lot less saucy, but then again, marriage is about compromise.

2 comments:

  1. I love the "This is How We Do It" reference almost as much as the recipe. And yes, that does sound delicious, and like a dish that my own husband (who describes himself now as "co-pescetarian" - !) might enjoy as well. My dinner plan for tonight is butternut squash gratin; maybe I'll post about that here sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Daughter:
    I love, if you excuse the expression, chicken pot pie. My dream recipe would trump yours and contain chunks of the forbidden fowl. However, in the name of family peace, I am willing to give your veggie version a try. Will report on it when I can get your mother to find the kitchen and show me where she hides the pots. Enjoying your chickenless blog, love, Dad

    ReplyDelete