Delicious veggie recipes and stories of vegetable and marital bliss.

Monday, January 11, 2010

What to Eat in Winter (or, It's 55 Degrees in California and We're Wearing Parkas)

Do you fear vampires? Or teenagers who love vampires? Or are you just a little under the weather?
Did I mention my husband has an unnatural love of garlic?

Easy Garlic Soup
(song for garlic soup: Alexi Murdoch's "Orange Sky")

I don't like peeling garlic. My husband bought me this garlic peeling device, and I was disappointed because I thought I was getting a pony. So, I make this soup when I can find peeled garlic in copious amounts.

The amounts here are variable, depending on how much soup you want in your freezer, or how many people you'd like to feed. This soup has been tested on my in-laws.

1 cup garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, chopped, if you happen to have one in the house
4-6 cups of vegetable broth (or water with one or two veggie bouillon cubes)
1 spring fresh rosemary (if you've got it)
1-2 cans of white beans (cannellini beans) rinsed well and drained
1-2 bunches of chard (or another green if you desire), washed well, stems removed, and chopped
salt and ground pepper to taste
shaved Parmesan cheese

In a medium stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic (and shallots) and saute for several minutes until golden, add broth or water, rosemary and beans, and bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.

Take out the rosemary spring, if you used it. If you have an immersion blender, now is your big moment. Blend that soup until it is smooth.

Add the chard and cook for 5-10 minutes. Add some kosher salt (you might need more than you think) and some freshly ground pepper. Ladle into bowls.

Sprinkle each bowl with a little bit of Parmesan. If you want to put some croutons in there, that would be delicious too.

This should cure what ails you. This and years of therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment