Delicious veggie recipes and stories of vegetable and marital bliss.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mexican Night

I am from New England. Translation: I am hardy and I think everything should be made out of wool.
My husband is from California. Translation: He is freckled and thinks everything should be made out of burritos.

I decided to brush up on my basic Mexican fare for several reasons:
1. We went to a neighborhood Mexican restaurant. I asked the waiter if the beans and rice served with my cheese enchiladas were vegetarian. He looked at my quizzically.
"Are they made with lard, or chicken stock?" I asked, trying to be helpful.
"Yes."
"What about the black beans?"
"They definitely have less lard than the refried. It's a better option for you," he told me, smiling.
Hmmmm.

2. When I mentioned using brown rice, my husband said gently, "Maybe we could have spaghetti and meatless meatballs instead."

3. I have a completely irrational fear that my husband may begin having an affair with the lovely abuela who takes his order at our favorite taqueria. I also have an irrational fear of giant squid. Let us never speak of them again.
On a happier note, here is a clip of us at one of our favorite spots on the island (yes, we really do live on an island), Calafia Taqueria, on a rare day when Jeff was in Alameda for lunch.

So, in an attempt to preserve our marriage and become affiliated with the local customs, I decided to create my own veggie friendly Mexican rice and refried beans.

Mexican Rice
(song for rice: Sara Bareilles' "Many the Miles")

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 decent sized onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped finely, or as they say in cookbooks, minced)
1 cup of long grain white rice (I used basmati, because that's what I had in the house)
2 cups fake chicken broth (see note)
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder (and I mean ancho chili powder, not that mixed stuff with the garlic salt. I get this in bulk at my favorite health food store.)
1 tsp. coarse salt
chopped cilantro (optional)

What do we want? Rice. When do we want it? In 30 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a pot with a lid over medium heat (I used a 4 quart pot because my 2 quart pot is MIA after our cross country move)
Add onions and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add butter and rice, cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add fake chicken broth, salt, and chili powder, give it a stir and bring it to a boil. Cover and turn stove to lowest heat, and let rice steam for 20-25 minutes or so. Turn off heat and keep covered until serving.
If you'd like, stir in some chopped cilantro and a spritz of fresh lime juice before serving.

Musings on fake chicken broth:
There are a number of ways to prepare this. I sometimes use bouillon cubes, I sometimes use the powder that come in bulk at our favorite health food store, helpfully titled "Vegetarian Chicken Broth Powder," I sometimes use the "No Chicken Chicken Broth" in a box, and sometimes I use plain old vegetable broth, either canned or homemade.

Refried Beans recipe coming soon (with some helpful advice on eating beans)...I know. I'm excited too.

2 comments:

  1. I particularly like this recipe because not only do I love anything with rice, but if I wanted to (and I probably would)I could just use actual chicken broth and tada! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly like your comment. I love when my blog gets some good lovin'.
    (I'll warn the chickens.)

    ReplyDelete